Become a Volunteer
Seeds of Resilience is looking for volunteers for the Care for the Carers: New Baby Home Visits and the Meals for New Mums & Dads.
New Baby Home Visits
Our Basic Requirements
– Be 18 years or older
– Make a three month commitment to a family
– Be available 2 to 4 hours per week for family visits
– Have your own transportation
– Provide information for a background check
– Attend (in person or online) initial training classes and monthly supervision meetings
Care for the Carers serves families who have recently had a new baby and need extra support in the first months of the baby’s life.
Volunteers assist in the home with activities that allow parents to spend time with their new babies, such as preparing a snack, folding laundry, going for a walk with mum and baby, or playing with an older sibling. These are the sorts of tasks that extended family members and old friends can usually do, but as many of us are uprooted we don’t have ready or easy access to that kind of support.
Meals for New Mums & Dads
Our Basic Requirements:
You must be willing to:
- Provide (which includes delivering as well as preparing) at least two meals within the first week of the new baby being at home
- Contact us as soon as possible if for any reason you will not be able to do so, for instance if you are on holiday when the baby is born
Providing a meal for the families of newborns is not just a nice gesture, it is an act of kinship and grace. It provides nourishment in every sense.
If you are interested in helping prepare and deliver meals for new parents, please contact us. We aim to pair volunteers with expectant parents who live in the same or nearby area. Our role is to facilitate the introductions and provide a simple guide as to how the arrangement can work.
By volunteering for the Care for the Carers program you will be helping to create a new form of community and kinship, as well as supporting the new baby, the family and the wider community.
Prior experience is not required, though a passion for helping families is strongly encouraged.